The science behind colour therapy or chromotherapy is interesting – and fits perfectly alongside essential oils
The first time I heard about this, I have to admit, I dismissed it, but then, after speaking to a number of therapists in different fields who use chromotherapy, I tried it, and I was surprised to find that it was a thing. I didn’t make the connection between the coloured lights on the Diffusers and the theory of colour therapy for a couple of years.
When I tried the colours in combination with essential oils, I was pretty impressed. Everything made sense – especially the halftones.
So, here are the colours and how they can impact:
- Cyan Blue – to reduce stress & enhance a state of rational calmness
- Red – to reduce feelings of hypertension & promote courage
- Yellow – to reduce melancholy or feelings of sadness
- Green – to enhance balance
- Mauve/Violet – to enhance restfulness
- Pink – to reduce feelings of anxiousness
- Silver/White – to enhance wellness
I must add at this point that many many institutions use these colours in clinic and therapy rooms to impact on a patient or client’s mindset.
Here is a little more on the theory of each of the colours:
Blue is an intellectual colour. It helps promote feelings of calmness, a restoring of logic and of clarity of communication. Blue also helps remove emotion from situations – thus enabling a more rational state of mind and presence of mind.
Red is the colour of action. It is stimulating, but is also warming and delivers courage – assisting with a feeling of having control and fighting the feelings of being out of control.
Yellow is the colour of optimism, yellow helps where self-esteem is lacking. The flipside of yellow is that it can also cause people to hold back. Moving from yellow to red would be a good example of managing your day by colours.
Mauve/Violet is the spiritual colour of reflection and deep thought. it helps bring feelings of satisfaction, quality and a lesser focus on details or daily toils. Violet is useful at night when sleep is restless.
Finally, let’s now match the colours with some essential oils.
- Cyan Blue – to reduce stress & enhance a state of rational calmness | Essential Oils – Stress Less Blend, Marjoram, Frankincense, Sweet Orange
- Red – to reduce feelings of hypertension & promote courage | Essential Oils – Ylang Ylang, Lavender, Lemongrass
- Yellow – to reduce melancholy or feelings of sadness | Essential Oils Bergamot, Rosemary, Mandarin, Orange
- Green – to enhance balance | Essential Oils Geranium, Marjoram, Lavender, Orange
- Mauve/Violet – to enhance restfulness & recovery | Essential Oils Deep Rest Blend, Frankincense, Lavender, Ginger
- Silver/White – to enhance wellness | Essential Oils Eucalyptus, Lavender, Tea Tree, Ginger
This is a guide only and can vary by individual. The universal truth, however, is that the more you learn about essential oil and alternative therapies, the more they impact your life.